Wednesday, December 19, 2012

"Want a Sandwich? no thanks but I could use a straight jacket"!

Caring For Loved Ones is Truly a Gift...

I'm honored to be caring for my parents at their age. My mom 87, with dementia and my dad 88 with some failing physical health.

Living with dementia is very difficult for anyone, let alone an elderly person who has their own health issues.
After a very frustrating hour with my mother refiguring out the Christmas gifts and cards I knew my dad was frustrated but in a loving way. He is a care taker by nature and continues to care for his wife and adult children the best way he can at his age.

To have my dad around is a gift to me. I am moved to have the time to be able to spend with him at this point in our lives. The love and care he has always shown me, blesses me daily.

His humor is another gift to me, as we spend our time together I love his one liners and am amazed at his quick wit.

I asked him if I could pick him up a sub sandwich for lunch and his reply was "no thanks but I could use a straight jacket"!

I just laughed, he smiled, we connected once again on a very special level.... Both of us looking at my mom insisting on recounting the boxes in the bag, we both felt the deep connection with each other and a love and appreciation for one another....

My goal is to keep him as safe and healthy as I can...
Care taking loved ones truly is a gift!

Love unconditionally,
Embrace generously,
Listen wholeheartedly...

Are there loved ones in your family who could use some TLC?

Living life filled with Love, Awe and Wonder....


1 comment: