Friday, April 6, 2012

Church Steeples

Church Steeples

There are many architectural aspects of the church steeple..
It's original influence was from what the first American settlers brought with them from Europe.

Steeples traditionally were topped with a cross, a weathervane, or a decorative finial. For many different reasons.

Today being Good Friday I thought it intresting to focus on the spiritual aspect.

The vertical lines of the steeple helped to visually enhance the lines of the church, directing the viewers' eyes vertically to the heavens.

While looking into the history of steeples I found this explanation quote:

"We were admonished by Christ, who said in John 12:32, ". And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, (I) will draw all men unto me." While signifying what death he would die, this scripture also challenges us to lift the cross of Christ up to the world. When we see a steeple and cross atop a church, pointing gracefully towards Heaven, the church is also lifting Christ up so that all men might be drawn to him and his promise."

In Awe and Wonder of the Beautiful Savanna Steeples and their symbolism.

1 comment:

  1. Wow I never knew this about church steeples, but it makes sense. Thanks for the beautiful and intersting post :)

    ReplyDelete