Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Boone Hill Plantation...

Charleston Complete!

I couldn't leave the South without visiting a Southern plantation.
There were several I wanted to visit but with a time restriction I thankfully sat near a southern belle who was very friendly and she kindly suggested I see Boone Hill Plantation....

So off I went this morning with great anticipation. When I pulled up to the long driveway with 200 year old live oak trees it took my breath away. As I drive down the driveway and saw the small brick slave quarters I was brought to tears.

After seeing the plantation home
(which wasn't the original home from the 1700) but It was breathtaking! I knew I needed a closer look at the Slave quarters which were original, dating back to the 1700, again as I approached the buildings I was brought to tears.

A sweet African American woman who worked at the plantation saw my tears and said to me "it's ok we've all moved on".... I couldn't help but be overwhelmed by emotions..

Today was an experience I will never forget. Walking around the grounds of the plantation you could sense the history, the people, the difference between the haves and the have nots, the oppression and the wealth...

I can't help but Wonder about the lives that lived on Boone Hill Planation, how they lived and how they were treated. I also wonder about the generations since, and where they are today...

Wondering why it was the way it was?

1 comment:

  1. I would really love to live in Charleston someday. It looks like such a beautiful city.

    ReplyDelete